Friday, January 8, 2010

ATTACK OF THE UNWANTED GENRES!
Some of the people that follow this blog have challenged me to choose the genres of music that I don't typically listen to and pick my top five in those genres. I'm not necessarily setting any rules for this challenge that I so readily accepted but I will try to explain my motive or reason for choosing these artists. This should be fun! My first genre is . . .
COUNTRY
Country music is a good one to start with because I never listen to it by choice but I don't detest it. I can easily recognize the talent it takes to produce good country music. In my mind there are some very good country musicians and some very bad ones. I think one of the hardest things about this challenge will be narrowing them down to only five. I know that my answers may be heavily influenced by whether I have seen them live or not, that always helps me appreciate a band or musician more. The list will be in no particular order. Alright, here we go.

1. Alan Jackson - I have appreciated Alan Jackson from the very first song I ever heard by him mostly because he writes just about all of his songs. He's a very honest songwriter and he seems to really enjoy it. He is true country to me because his music comes from the heart.

2. Dwight Yoakam - His first album Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc, Etc. was a masterpiece. He has a coolness about him that is unmatched. Another true country musician that took country back to it's roots.
3. Merle Haggard - Real Country at its best! Definitely an original. Put him up against Johnny Cash any day and he would win. If you don't agree with that I'm afraid you just don't really know country music.

4. Diamond Rio - I'm sure alot of people might disagree with me on this one but remember this is my top 5. I've seen them live and they are incredible. They know their stuff, pure talent. Great songwriting, catchy hooks, southern accent, what else do you need to be good country?


5. Alabama - They have to be, hands down, the greastest country band of all time. They have the awards to prove it. That might be all I can say.

6. Nickle Creek - I know it's a top 5 list but I said there wasn't going to be any rules. And you know I had to throw in somewhat of an Alternative/Country band. When Nickle Creek first came out they were young, inventive, and creative. Like always radio never did quite figure out what to do with them. They had a bit of airplay but then they got swept under the rug. Three words; talent, talent, talent. I'm afraid if you can't appreciate this band you just don't like music.



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Merle Haggard gives me goosebumps. Kinda weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait.wait. wait.

    I DARE you to post a genre somewhere in either SALSA music or any Spanish Pop scene.

    This outa be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey. you're pretty great Mr. Borst! :)

    i don't love country music.
    but i can relate to all of these musicians.
    they all spark a tad bit of nostalga, and i won't complain about that. i love it!
    and, Nickel Creek are fantastic. I wont even deny it and the best part is that Joe and I listened to them on the way up and back from Pine Valley yesterday! they are powerful!! talented talented people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't like country, but I always get my chops busted by people who tell me that the eagles, dwight, johnny cash, merle, and a few other bands I like are totally country. They're probably right.

    Can I suggest my favorite dwight Yoakam? He made a CD called Under the Covers, so good. Covers Train in vain by the clash, witchita Lineman, but my favorite is "baby don't go" in a duet with Cheryl Crow.

    Awesome blog Howard. I got ya on my reading list

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading your blog ever since Randi linked to it, but I've never commented. Well, today Randi's blog told me to comment, so here we go.
    I like all of these artists. Which is sort of strange, because if you were to ask me what kind of music I listen to, 'Country' would not be one of the genres in my list. But I was raised on Country, and I suppose there must still be a bit of it in my blood, because it still resonates.

    This is a great blog. You have some super insights, and I love that you include playlists at the end of your posts.

    ReplyDelete